I am moving to Seattle in 3 weeks! ahhhh! my new roommate (and close friend) Deanna will be flying into Denver and we will be driving my moving truck together over the weekend of October 19th. I can’t believe it’s all happening so quickly but it’s all official (30 days notice to my leasing office, her flight booked to Denver, etc) and it really just feels surreal. I had no intention of moving within the U.S. without securing employment first but this opportunity presented itself and I just knew that I needed this. Deanna and I both do. I absolutely love Denver and I’m already panicking about leaving this amazing city and state but hey, it will still be here. I can always visit or even move back.
Furthermore, my incredibly generous parents have gifted me with a car so I will have reliable transportation as soon as I arrive – after an overnight stop in Portland to grab furniture, say hello, and have my mom finally meet my adorable kitten Ryan. I finally feel as if my life is falling into place and I couldn’t be more excited to embrace my potential and finally be where I need to be. Big things are coming and I couldn’t be more ready or excited. Here we go.
I freely admit that I’ve had some difficulty realizing my own worth in the past year and I could use a confidence booster every so often. I’m not yet where I want to be in life and I express that quite often. However, two of my sorority sisters from LA coincidently were accepted into a similar program to mine at DU (they’re going to Korbel) and it got me to thinking about my own experience these past 2.5 years in Denver and what I actually have to show for myself. This is where the self-confidence booster comes in. In the past 2.5 years I:
- Ended a 3.5 year romantic relationship (or, it was ended)
- Got my first choice internship placement in my first year at the American Red Cross
- Made new friends in a new city and state
- Went through an incredibly difficult but much needed time for personal growth & health
- Decided to independently travel and visit a friend in Kenya
- Spent 2 months interning in Bosnia and solo traveled for 5 weeks across Eastern Europe
- Spent time in Washington, DC with one of my besties Jane
- Secured an independent second year placement at the African Community Center of Denver
- GRADUATED with my MA at age 25 and with nearly 30 countries in my passport.
throw in a lot of sunshine, smiles, great meals, Rockies games, concerts, wine, all nighters, & netflix and yeah, you could say it’s been a good 2.5 years. maybe even a great 2.5 years :)